Monday, January 27, 2014

Some Things About Childbirth & Beyond, Part 2.

Let's continue, shall we?

On nursing:

I could go on and on about this one. I'll narrow it down to what I deem are the essentials.

The first few months will be challenging -- There's no going around it. You will face difficult moments with your little one. He might not latch well, your nipples might get excessively sore, it may be the most awkward endeavor of your life. What I say to this is: give it two and a half months. Work really hard those two and a half months. You will see the light at the end of the tunnel. It will get better; just hang in there!

If your hospital offers a free lactation consultant class while you're there, GO! -- It really can't hurt to go even if you find yourself the world's most perfect nursing mom. Thus far I have been blessed not to have any issues nursing, but I always benefited from talking to the lactation consultant on staff while I stayed at the hospital. They're extremely helpful and encouraging, which leads me to the next thing...

Read encouraging stories about nursing, and learn to RELAX! -- Remember what I was telling you in Part 1 about reading encouraging birth stories? Same thing goes with nursing. Breastfeeding actually doesn't start in your boobs; it begins with hormonal changes in your brain. I am absolutely convinced if you seek encouraging advice along with doing and thinking about things that calm you, it will help your brain do what it needs to do to feed your baby.

Sleep near baby, at least until you know your milk supply is in tip-top shape -- Co-sleeping really, truly, scientifically increases your milk supply to the level it needs to be. This doesn't necessarily mean bed-sharing. Co-sleeping simply means sleeping near your baby to where it is easy to access him when he wakes to feed. I highly encourage you to at least consider doing this for the first few months. Not only for your milk supply, but for your sleep's sake. Studies have shown women who sleep near their babies get more sleep than moms who don't. There are wonderful resources to continue your reading on this issue at La Leche League International's website.

Nursing tanks are a new mom's breast best friend -- They're awesome, and you should get them in every color. I've found, however, when I leave the house and need to put a nursing bra on that having a cami over it is crucial so when I nurse my tummy remains under wraps. These stretchy maternity tanks are great for this purpose. They are well worth the price. I've had the same two since I was pregnant with Julian, and they are still in great shape.

This nursing bra will change your life! -- I thought that I would totally never go for anything other than underwire, but after I became a nursing mamma I found them to be so uncomfortable for this stage in my life.  That's why I can't get enough of this bra. Ohmygoodness it is so comfortable, and there's a thin cup that lifts and shapes your boobs. Oh it's the best. I hope to get every color!

Personally, I prefer My Breast Friend versus the Boppy -- Here's why I like it. It has an adjustable strap, so it stays put better than the Boppy and you can get it much closer to yourself because of this as well. It has such a soft, cuddly liner with two little bumps for your little one's resting head. And that's why. I heart My Breast Friend.

I know there are more things on this matter to mention, but let's face the music... it's 11:49PM and we're all battling colds here. Yuck! So until next time --

Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment